Personal injury victims need to find an attorney they can trust. Experienced attorneys in the Dallas-Forth Worth area can help you secure a settlement in your case. When it comes to personal injury attorneys, what separates the good from the great? It comes down to these six main factors.
- Knowledge and Experience with Personal Injury Law
- Case Results – Have They Secured High Settlement Amounts for Clients?
- Active Participation in Various Trial Lawyer Groups, Associations, and Communities
- Client Reception – Are They Favorably Reviewed?
- Fee Structure – When Will You Owe Fees for Your Case?
- Active Participation in Forums Online, Including Blogs and Social Media
The Dallas-Fort Worth attorney that will be featured today is Ted B. Lyon Jr. Lyon is the head of Ted B. Lyon & Associates, based out of Mesquite. Lyon is a prominent attorney in the area. He is a former police officer, Texas State Senator, and Texas State Representative.
He has also been featured in local and national media coverage, including programs such as “NBC Dateline,” “60 Minutes,” and “Good Morning America.” How does Lyon meet the criteria for a personal injury attorney?
1. Knowledge and Experience with Personal Injury Law
Lyon’s personal biography page on the firm’s website indicates that his three primary areas of practice are
- Trans-Vaginal Mesh
- Consumer Protection
- Personal Injury – Plaintiff
The page also specifies that 100% of his practice is devoted to litigation.
The firm’s home page details some of the personal injury cases they have been involved with, which include
- Motor Vehicle Accidents
- Serious Injuries
- Work Injuries
- Wrongful Death
- Medical Malpractice
- Product Liability
- Premises Liability
- Aviation Matters
- Oil Field-Related Accidents
- Pipeline Explosion Injuries
2. Case Results – Have They Secured High Settlement Amounts for Clients?
Lyon’s website does not specify monetary payouts received in cases. However, there is a section of the website titled “Results” which lists the Verdicts and Settlements the firm has been associated with. Even though the settlement figures are not listed, Lyon is still proud of his victories in these noteworthy cases. A few of the highlights are detailed below.
- Verdicts in Cases Tried Before a Jury, and Judgment Entered
- Wrongful Death Case – Smalley v. Koch Industries; Koch Pipeline
- Personal Injury Case – Waldrip v. U-Hall
- Wrongful Death Case – Kahl v. Licker
- Settlements in Cases Settled Before Trial
- Chemical Spill Case – The City of Dallas v. Explorer Pipeline
- Wrongful Death Case – Hickerson v. TXU et al.
- Personal Injury Case – Fernandez v. Texas Instruments
3. Active Participation in Various Trial Lawyer Groups, Associations, and Communities
Ted B Lyon Jr is a graduate of East Texas University, receiving a Bachelor of Science in Political Science in 1972. He then attended Southern Methodist University School of Law, where he received his Juris Doctorate in 1975.
Lyon has been admitted to the following bars:
- State Bar of Texas, 1976
- United States District Court Northern District of Texas, 1976
- S. District Court Eastern District of Texas, 1984
- S. District Court Southern District of Texas, 1993
- S. Supreme Court, 1986
He also serves as member of a multitude of other bar associations, such as
- Mesquite Bar Association
- Treasurer, 1977
- Secretary, 1979
- Vice President, 1979
- President 1980
- American Bar Association
- Southern Trial Lawyers Association
- American Board of Trial Advocates
- Dallas Trial Lawyers Association
- Southern Trial Lawyers Association
- American Association for Justice
- Dallas Bar Foundation
- Litigation Counsel of America
4. Client Reception – Are They Favorably Reviewed?
Lyon’s firm’s website features a Testimonials page. There is a note from a previous client, impressed by Lyon’s selflessness and skill as an attorney. The other note is provided by a fellow attorney who Lyon’s firm partnered with on a case.
Lyon himself has received numerous awards throughout his career, a few of which are highlighted below.
- Legislator of the Year, Common Cause of Texas, 1981
- One of Two Outstanding Legislators, Dallas County Sheriff’s Association, 1981
- One of Ten Best Legislators, Combined Law Enforcement Association of Texas, 1981
- All-Star Legislator, I’D’ Magazine, 1981
- Top-10 Best Litigators in Dallas, Texas by D Magazine, 2001
5. Fee Structure – When Will You Owe Fees for Your Case?
The firm’s website states that all personal injury cases are handled on a contingent basis. They will collect fees from clients only if they are granted compensation in their case.
6. Active Participation in Forums Online, Including Blogs and Social Media
Ted B Lyon & Associates is very engaged online. Their website features a blog that is very active and frequently maintained. Informative blogs are posted approximately once a week. Their website also features a “News & Media” section. Additionally, there is an option for you to chat with someone at the firm while on their website.
The firm’s Facebook page is also very active, with approximately two posts a week. Their Twitter was extremely active until the end of August. The company has not tweeted since August 26. However, the firm maintains an active LinkedIn profile, providing information that is beneficial to personal injury victims.