Snellings Law PC
Find a lawyer near you
How to Choose the Right Attorney
Here are a few tips on how to choose the right car accident attorney:
The attorney should have knowledge of local laws and policies
Finding the right attorney often involves picking someone who is knowledgeable about the industry as a whole, as well as the local neighborhood laws. However, it's also important and highly recommended to choose a lawyer who specifically specializes in personal injuries and car accidents, so that you can get the most out of their specific expertise.
Weigh your options
Instead of going with the first lawyer you come across, call around and discuss your case with the different lawyers. A good rapport between you and your lawyer is a pivotal part of ensuring a successful case.
Luckily, there are many qualified and experienced car accident injury lawyers to choose from, and they either specialize in representing the plaintiff or the defendant. So be sure to ask which side of the fence your lawyer is on to determine if they're the right fit for you.
It's important to pick a lawyer who is affiliated with trial lawyers associations in your local area, as well as your state and even on a national level. It would also be a good idea to consult with your local bar association to ensure that your lawyer is currently in good standing with the association, as that will lend more credibility to your case.
Questions to Ask
A few of the important questions that you need to ask yourself when searching for an attorney to represent your case include:
- What is their area of expertise? While most lawyers specialize in different practice areas, some only focus on personal injury and car accidents, and have a vast knowledge and experience of the field and better results as well.
- How long have they been practicing? The longer your lawyer's career, the more experienced and successful they probably are.
- Have they dealt with personal injury or car accident cases like yours? Prior experience is also a good indication that your lawyer knows what they're talking about.
- How are their fees structured? You want to know what you're getting yourself into financially before you choose a lawyer, so ask them what their fees are and if they offer a payment structure that'll allow you to pay in increments. A majority of personal injury attorney will work off of a contingency fee so there are no upfront out-of-pocket costs to you.
- How often will they be in contact? It's important to know what to expect in terms of communication. You want a lawyer that's going to update you on a regular basis on the case and throughout the process.