If you’re a resident of the Dallas-Fort Worth area that has recently been injured in an accident, someone has probably suggested you talk to a lawyer in the area.
There are a number of qualified attorneys in the area. How can you find the one that’s best for your case? Start by considering these six key factors.
- Knowledge of Personal Injury Law
- Results of Settlements, Payouts, and Verdicts
- Participation in Legal Associations
- Client Testimonials & Other Reviews
- Fee Structure
- Online Participation
Coby Wooten is a Fort Worth attorney who you may consider talking to. Wooten opened his own law firm upon acceptance to the State Bar of Texas in 1996 and continues to run that firm today.
1. Knowledge of Personal Injury Law
According to his website, Wooten handles a vast array of personal injury cases. He specializes in car accidents, truck accidents, motorcycle accidents, and wrongful death cases, but has also shown experience handling other personal injury cases. Wooten’s other experiences focus on personal injuries suffered while on the job. Examples include
- Oil and Gas Field Accidents, including Explosion Injuries
- Construction Accidents
- Crane Accidents
- Heavy Equipment Injuries
- Asbestos Exposure
- Product Liability
- Premises Liability
- Nursing Home Abuse & Neglect
- Surgical Errors
- Traumatic Brain, Spinal Cord, and Burn Injuries
- Swimming, Drowning, Boating, Jet Ski, and WaveRunner Accidents
- Child Injuries
- ATV Accidents
2. Results of Settlements, Payouts, and Verdicts
Fort Worth attorney Coby Wooten has secured many large settlements for his clients in past personal injury cases he has worked. The firm’s Case Results section of the website contains many of the favorable verdicts and settlements they’ve secured, including the following:
- A $2,000,000 settlement for an on-the-job injury that occurred while working for an employer who was not subscribed to worker’s compensation. Settled during litigation, the client received $1,319,292.19 after legal fees and expenses.
- A $1,155,000 settlement for a client who passed away because of a truck accident. Settled during litigation, the client received $672,187.24 after accounting for legal fees and expenses.
- A $1,800,000 settlement for a victim injured in a truck accident while driving on the New Jersey Turnpike. Settled on the fourth day of trial, the client received $1,007,535.60.
- A $210,000 settlement for a seven-year-old girl bitten by a black Labrador Retriever.
3. Participation in Legal Associations
According to the About Our Firm section of the website, Wooten has always been very active in the state of Texas. He received a Bachelor of Arts degree in Political Science from Southwest Texas State University in 1990.
He then went on to Texas Wesleyan University School of Law, where he received his Juris Doctorate in 1996. During his third year at Texas Wesleyan, he received the Order of Barristers honor. Upon graduation, he was accepted to the State Bar of Texas. He is now permitted to practice in Texas, in addition to the Northern and Western Districts of the United States Federal District Court.
Wooten now belongs to a number of associations and is very active in the legal community. He has served as President of the Tarrant County Bar Association since 2014 and serves on the Board of Directors for the Texas Trial Lawyers Association. He also is a member of the
- Tarrant County Trial Lawyers Association
- American Association for Justice
- American Bar Association
- Tarrant County Criminal Lawyers Association
- Texas Criminal Lawyers Association
4. Client Testimonials & Other Reviews
Coby Wooten was recognized by peers in the plaintiff’s personal injury field as a “Top Attorney in Fort Worth” in 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010, 2009, and 2008. The Trial Lawyers Board of Regents LLC granted Wooten a “Litigator Award Winner” for 2014 and 2015.
360 West Magazine featured Wooten as an “Attorney Worth Knowing” in their July 2017 issue.
Wooten has also been awarded the 2015 Client’s Choice Award from Avvo.
Wooten’s firm has 13 reviews on its Facebook page, yielding a 4.8 rating.
5. Fee Structure
The firm’s website has a section dedicated to their Contingency Fee. Wooten works off a contingency fee and does not collect from clients up-front. Wooten’s firm only collects from clients if they win the case. They typically collect one-third of the settlement.
Wooten’s website also features a Free Case Evaluation that can be used to receive legal advice about a potential case.
6. Online Participation
Coby Wooten’s website features a blog that is updated once a month. When you access the firm’s website, a live chat option becomes available on the screen.
Additionally, Wooten’s website features links to various social media pages, such as:
- LinkedIn – Wooten’s personal page
- Facebook – This is updated every few weeks
- Twitter – The firm tweets about once a month
- YouTube – This was last updated two years ago
- Google+ – This is updated every few weeks
- Instagram – Not available to the public
Wooten meets all six of the recommended criteria, and should be a top attorney to consider in the Fort Worth area.